Laurie A. Koerner
Laurie A. Koerner is a lifelong resident of Lake County, Ohio. Her legal practice focuses on the area of family law litigation, including divorce, dissolution, child support, spousal support, and custody matters. She has been employed in the Family Law Department of Dworken & Bernstein since 1990, and joined the firm as an attorney in 2009.
In addition, Laurie has specialized training in alternate dispute resolution methods, including divorce and family law mediation and collaborative divorce. The goal of mediation is to assist parties in resolving their differences by mutual agreement, and to avoid incurring both the financial and emotional cost of litigation. Mediation can help parties communicate and negotiate their family law matter in a more effective, productive and constructive manner.
Laurie also works as a guardian ad litem, appointed by the court to protect the interests of children whose parents are involved in family law litigation.
Laurie understands that family law matters involve complex emotional, as well as legal, issues, and keeps her clients’ needs and bests interests in mind at all times while advocating for them to obtain the outcome they deserve.
Laurie is frequently appointed by trial courts as guardian ad litem to protect the interests of children.
Laurie A. Koerner
Education & Court Admissions:
- Bachelor of Arts degree, Hiram College, summa cum laude (2002)
- Juris Doctor, Cleveland-Marshall College of Law (2008)
- Admitted to practice, State of Ohio, 2009
Associations & Memberships:
- Lake County Bar Association
- Cleveland Metropolitan Bar Association
- Ohio State Bar Association
Leadership & Honors:
- Laurie is an active member of the Family Law Committee of the Lake County Bar Association, and participates in many pro bono and community activities, including the Brief Advice Clinics sponsored by the Lake County Domestic Relations Court, which provide pro bono legal assistance to litigants without the means to retain counsel.
- Battle of the Briefcases, Harvest for Hunger Campaign for the Cleveland Food Bank, D&B co-Chair
On a Personal Note:
Laurie enjoys cooking, hiking and yoga, and spending time with her family and friends.